Hearing loss is an annoying issue that affects a significant portion of people in the USA. This has a huge impact not only on the individual who has the hearing issue but also on their close ones. It can be highly irritating and painful to face difficulty in hearing what others are saying and can also cause issues like depression due to the inability to smoothly participating in discussions. The known ones may develop frustration of increasing their voice whenever they communicate with such people. Hearing issues will also gradually cause isolation in public and depression for the person experiencing hearing loss. With the advancements in medical science, many advanced Hearing Treatments will induce positive results and offer a sense of relief.
What is the SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS problem?
- Sensorineural hearing loss occurs when there is an injury to the inner ear or to the nerves that are present in between the ear and brain. Generally, Sensorineural hearing loss is permanent and will stop your ability to hear even loud noises completely or muffled. Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) is developed by damage to the structures in the internal ear or the hearing nerve. This is the reason for the majority percentage of hearing issues in adults.
- The major reasons for SNHL comprise exposure to loud noises, genetic aspects, or the natural aging process. The cochlea is a spiraling organ inside the internal ear as it comprises small hairs called stereocilia that alter the vibrations from sound waves into nerve signals that are carried by the hearing nerve to the brain.
- The hairs can be damaged when exposed to sounds louder than 85 decibels. This hearing loss may not be evident until the 30 to 50 percent damage to these hairs. This harsh sound of 85 decibels almost similar to heavy traffic sound that is heard from within a four-wheeler like a car.
- The symptoms from SNHL may be moderate or aggressive. An individual with a mild hearing impairment might face issues hearing the speech, in the situation of other surrounding noises. Mild symptoms people can be assisted with normal hearing aid while aggressive people may not.
- Some people turn completely deaf and depend on reading the lips to communicate with others. Individuals who are completely deaf cannot hear even loud noises turn to a situation to depend on lip-reading or sign language.
Major symptoms of SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS:
SNHL might be caused in one ear or both ears relying on the cause. If the issue of SNHL happens at a slow pace, then the symptoms may not be recognized without a reliable hearing test. If there is a sudden onset of SNHL, the symptoms may arrive after some days. Some people will observe sudden SNHL as they get up in the morning. SNHL gradually increases with time if it’s triggered by aging or genetic aspects. If it’s initiated by a flashy rapid noise or environmental aspects, symptoms attain a fixed state if you do not treat the problem causing hearing issues. Major symptoms include:
- Decreased sensitivity to low sounds.
- Reduction incapability to distinguish between various speech signals
- Impact on the perception of loudness.
Sensorineural hearing loss can be triggered by constant exposure to loud noise, which can cause damage to the inner ear.
Aging is a key reason for all types of hearing loss and also a big factor in sensorineural hearing loss. The primary indicators may be problems in understanding speech while there is any background noise.
Genetic sensorineural hearing loss may impact the infants right from birth or in any later stages. Other factors include any injections during pregnancy, problems during birth, and other hereditary issues that may lead to sensorineural hearing loss in infants.
Sensorineural hearing loss may also be caused due to few types of medications for other health ailments.
Treatment for SNHL:
At present, there’s no surgical treatment to treat and resolve SNHL. Highly utilized options include the usage of hearing aids and cochlear implants that will aid you to combat hearing loss problems.
Several hearing aids can help patients to cope up with precise hearing loss symptoms. If you have any issues in hearing high-frequency sounds, advanced hearing aids can catch these sounds without any impact on other frequencies.
A cochlear implant is a device that is implemented surgically to aid patients with severe SNHL. A cochlear implant consists of two parts, one being the microphone that is worn wear behind the ear and a receiver that would be inside the ear that is key to transport electrical information to your auditory nerve.
Hearing loss diagnosis and treatment at ENT allergy and sinus:
The expert audiologists and Dr. Hartman work collectively to diagnose individual hearing loss and tinnitus problems. There will be a thorough discussion with the patient to know his medical history and symptoms, the development journey of symptoms, and other discomforts in the ear along with hearing loss. This collaboration is beneficial for the patient to have a genuine diagnosis and treatment plan as per their specific requirements.
Diagnostic tools comprised of:
- Pure-Tone Testing
- Speech Testing
- Tests of the Middle Ear
- VNG to aid you to know the cause of balance issues.
Providing advanced hearing aids along with listening devices for helping to listen to TV, phone, and Bluetooth. Developing custom earplugs for safety against noise or swimming.
The treatment for various hearing loss is reliant on both the cause and severity of the issue. While some of the Sensorineural hearing loss is not reversible but can enhance the quality of life with appropriate treatments and strategies.
SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS requires early diagnosis and treatment to enhance the quality of life. Hearing health is an integral part of your overall health and the ENT allergy and sinus center understands and is dedicated to enhancing your overall health with an accurate diagnosis, treatment, and care.